16.3.15

The monday morning bake



 This morning I really fancied getting my apron on and doing some baking. Of course at the mention of 'cake' I had one very willing little helper on hand and, after some decision making, Noah and I settled on baking a Lemon loaf sponge together.

 I personally love lemon cake, it is just such a lovely afternoon treat and, when baked well, is just light enough to see you through the mid-afternoon gap without feeling like you have over-indulged. Whilst chocolate cake will always be a firm favourite, the thought of a light lemon cake after dinner tonight really tempted me and I couldn't say no!

The recipe I have used today is from Tanya Burr's book 'Love Tanya' which I picked up after it's recent release. I love how simple and easy this recipe is. I'm pretty certain a five year old could have a  decent go at this, honestly!


The ingredients I used for the cake were:

3 eggs
170g self-raising flour
170g caster sugar
170g butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
zest of 2 lemons

and for the icing:
150g icing sugar
juice of 2 lemons

I preheated my oven to 180 0c and greased a loaf tin with butter. Next, I mixed the flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and zest of 2 lemons into a bowl and then gradually stirred in the eggs too. Then I poured the mix into my lined loaf tin and baked in the oven for about 35 minutes. After sliding in a knife to check if the cake had cooked, (it should come out clean when the cake is fully baked) I decanted the cake onto a cooling rack and pierced it all over with a knife.
Whilst the cake was still hot I got to work on making the icing which I poured all over the top. The piercings in the top of the cake allow for the zesty icing to sink into the sponge and add extra flavour to the cake- delicious!


This is a great cake to serve for afternoon tea as it is especially simple to make and oh so gorgeous to eat!

Enjoy!

Love Bunty
xXx
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© BUNTY | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Crafted by pipdig